Rich in Native American history, Tishomingo, Oklahoma was named after a Chickasaw chief who contracted smallpox and passed away on the trail of tears, a national historic trail near the town. Local bars and restaurants reflect the rich heritage and southern hospitality of Oklahoma. Five of the best restaurants and bars in Tishomingo, Oklahoma are:
1. The Boomarang Diner - Known for its specialties of sandwiches, including the Barbecue pork sandwich, this restaurant features American cuisine like burgers, hot dogs, ice cream, pastries, desserts, and delicious breakfast menu items served all day. The Boomarang Diner was named Oklahoma's Restaurant of the Year in 2015. This restaurant likes to say that their best advertising comes from word of mouth from satisfied customers.
2. Fish Tales Restaurant - This buffet style restaurant has earned a stellar reputation for its local favorites like catfish, ribs, chicken, brisket, fries, hush puppies, fried okra and potato salad. Diners can top this off with ice cream or a serving of the Fish Tales famous peach cobbler. The restaurant itself is interesting due to its unique metal building in the shape of a barrel. Exaggerated or true fish tales are welcome to be told here.
3. Blue River Ribs - This barbecue restaurant serves traditional Oklahoma favorites like slow cooked barbecue featuring the best tasting meats, fries made fresh, hamburgers from fresh beef and nice touches like free pieces of birthday cake served on diner's birthdays. Blue River Ribs is renowned for its clean restaurant atmosphere and friendly ambiance.
4. The Ponderosa Bar at the Pink Pistol - Perhaps one of Tishomingo's most famous local landmarks is the Pink Pistol, owned by country music singer and songwriter Miranda Lambert. A quaint boutique styled shop, the Pink Pistol is a main attraction. Behind the shop, however, is the famous patio styled Ponderosa bar serving delectable cocktails, beer and other assorted drink offerings served in souvenir cups in a friendly, down home atmosphere. Visitors love the shopping, along with interesting photo opportunities. Along with The Ponderosa Bar, Lambert also owns The Ladysmith, a Tishomingo bed and breakfast.
5. Gonzalez Mexican Restaurant - A delightful Mexican restaurant recommended by locals. It features delicious food offerings including slow cooked pork served on a plate or used as a taco filling, enchiladas, tacos, burritos, fajitas, tamales, crisp green salad, fresh made chips and salsa and homemade guacamole served on the side. Another recommended dish is the homemade specialty tortilla soup. It's a clean establishment serving excellent food.